Last Updated on
The 2016 edition of the annual Singapore Food Festival (SFF) will take place from 15 to 31 July, and features a record line-up of 18 gastronomic experiences. Themed “Savour the Past, Taste the Future”, this year’s Festival will take intrepid foodies on a culinary journey that spans the ages.
From the nostalgia of dining along a shophouse-lined street to the contemporary experience of an outdoor barbeque in a gastro-park, guests are invited to tantalise their taste buds with some of the nation’s best dishes whipped up by our top culinary talents.
Ms Ranita Sundra, Director of Attractions, Dining and Retail, Singapore Tourism Board, said, “The Singapore Food Festival has been carrying the torch for Singapore’s vibrant food legacy since 1994. After 23 years, it is still the only food festival in Singapore to feature local flavours and showcase the inventive spirit of our ever-evolving food scene. This year, Singaporeans and visitors are in for a treat with a record 18 Singapore Food Festival experiences on offer. Young and old alike will be able to savour Singapore’s food heritage and discover modern Singaporean cuisine by being a part of the various partner events and initiatives.”
Event The Singapore Tourism Board (STB) first introduced STREAT in 2015 as the anchor SFF event to celebrate Singapore food and culinary talents. For 2016, it will feature a pop-up restaurant and a curated medley of Singapore F&B establishments.
STREAT 2016’s pop-up restaurant is helmed by international celebrity chef Susur Lee, who played a key role in developing the concept of contemporary Chinese cuisine following his appointment as TungLok Group’s Group Culinary Consultant in 1997. He is joined by Senior Executive Chef Ken Ling of Tunglok Heen and Chef-Owner Han Liguang of Restaurant Labyrinth. The three chefs will reinterpret and create new expressions of Singapore’s iconic street food, presented in an exclusive six-hands dinner menu. A stellar selection of hawkers and chefs will also helm stalls alongside the pop-up restaurant.
Revitalising Culinary Experiences Industry partners are also joining STB to cook up a storm at SFF 2016. Culinary talents and establishments, F&B associations and hotels are organising a total of 18 dining experiences for the Festival this year.
- Celebrate and rediscover Singapore’s culinary while indulging in Singapore’s traditional and contemporary dishes with your family and friends at these events:
- Track down the Chatterbox Food Truck by Mandarin Orchard as it travels around Singapore to bring its popular chicken rice to various locations in the city;
- Learn how to cook Singapore Chilli Crab and stewed Hokkien noodles wrapped in Opeh leaves from Chef Tony Khoo at Cooking from the Heart;
- Go on culinary adventures with CRAVE! Singapore and learn more about our food history and origins through an interactive programme;
- Savour the dishes of Singapore’s major ethnic groups at Dining in the Garden City, organised by chef and culinary associations and the Food Gen 2 hawkers;
- Swing by East Coast Lagoon Food Village as SFF 2016 puts the spotlight on this landmark hawker centre;
- Tuck into a sumptuous picnic in air-conditioned comfort at ION Orchard Culinary Creations 2016: Picnic in Style! ;
- Get your fill of kueh at the second annual Kueh Appreciation Day that commemorates the one delicacy that binds various ethnic cultures in Singapore;
- Pick up the skills required to make ang ku kueh and decorate cakes with Learning Journeys;
- Taste local heritage cuisine and unique fusion creations at One Farrer’s Food Street, which will recreate the great food stalls that once lined the roads of the Farrer Park district;
- Head over to Open Stoves by Timbre+ for a peek into a chef’s world set amidst a lively atmosphere buzzing with cooking demos, bands jamming, a pop-up barbeque blowout and fun fringe activities;
- Explore three culinary zones within the Singapore Favourite Food Village 2016, from a heritage food street to contemporary Singaporean cuisine and a food truck park;
- Celebrate Singapore Restaurant Month, and visit the heritage restaurants that have been tasked with creating healthy Singaporeinspired dishes exclusively for SFF 2016;
- Relive the nostalgia of old Singapore at The 50 Cents Fest! along Chinatown Food Street. Inspired by the Hokkien saying which literally translates into “five cents is bigger than a bullock cart’s wheel”, each serving of food will be sold in denominations of 50 cents, no more than $2.50 each. Music, buskers and costumed performers from a bygone era will also be on hand to provide entertainment;
Rediscover our Peranakan food heritage with Kim Choo Holdings Pte Ltd on The Heritage Town Trail by taking a guided tour of Katong and Joo Chiat that includes sampling nyonya delicacies.
Other dining establishments such as Tippling Club, TWG Tea Salons and Mandarin Orchard are also a part of SFF 2016. They will present special menus featuring a hawker-inspired cocktail pairing, tea-infused local dishes and iconic Hainanese dishes, respectively.
Bringing a Taste of the Singapore Food Festival to Everyone Presenting its first collaboration since its recent launch, UberEATS steps up with STB as the official food delivery partner of SFF 2016, surprising passengers with a special culinary treat on 15 July 2016. Stay tuned to find out more!
For Full Singapore Food Festival 2016 Event Click here.